The European English Aglow is part of the Aglow International family.
Who it's for
In today’s transient world, there are pockets of English-speaking people living throughout Europe. These people may feel isolated from their brothers and sisters in Christ because they don't speak the local language and there may be few opportunities for English-speaking fellowship. Women often find themselves in need of fellowship and encouragement in a language they can communicate in. This 'linguafranca' is often English. We seek to reach these "precious pockets” of women and help them in their Christian walk through the instrument of Aglow.
The chapters consist of woman from all over the world. Each chapter has its own special “flavour”. For example, the Chapters in Italy, which are mainly made up of African women, may feel as if one has travelled to Africa. Meanwhile, in Spain the chapters have a very British flavour.
English-speaking Aglow chapters were the first Aglow chapters to appear in Europe in the early 1970s, established by Americans who moved to Europe to work. The European English Aglow was established in 1999 as an umbrella organisation for these chapters in European countries where English is not the native language (i.e., we do not operate in Britain or Ireland). We function alongside and in collaboration with the now well-established national Aglow organisations in European countries.
Guidelines were drawn up to clarify the place of English-speaking chapters within the family of Aglow in continental Europe. That is when Dianne de Jong received the title of “European English Aglow Director”. Together with her assistant, Carolyn Jones, she seeks contacts in the precious pockets, assists them in seeking the Lord for guidance in setting up new chapters in unreached areas. They offer support, encouragement and training through various means. These include regular visits to the chapters, leadership training and oversight, weekend events such as conferences, and providing resources. The chapters are growing in number and it is thrilling and challenging to see all that God is doing.
Aglow welcomes you if you:
- are looking for answers in your life.
- want to make a positive difference in your world.
- are already enjoying a relationship with Jesus, but want to grow.
- are looking for ministry opportunities.
Aglow International is:
- an organization of Christian women that reaches into 175 nations, across cultures and denominations.
- a world wide movement of women who come together in small groups, chapters, regional and national conferences, and international events.
- seeks God's inspiration as we care, pray and bring God's Kingdom to a woman's world.
New Mission Statement
- Restore and mobilize women around the world.
- Promote gender reconciliation in the Body of Christ as God designed.
- Amplify awareness of global concerns from a Biblical perspective.
Aglow's history in a nutshell
- Aglow International was founded in 1967 in Seattle, Washington, USA, by a handful of Christian women with a belief that no one can reach into a woman's world quite as well as another woman.
- Today Aglow's multifaceted ministry is helping to change women's lives in neighbourhoods, inner cities, workplaces, rural communities, prisons and jails,
war-torn nations, and in refugee camps.
- Women in every stage of life and from every culture are being touched by the love of Christ expressed through the outstretched hand of Aglow.
Aglow's Belief Statement
For information about Aglow's Belief Statement please go to www.aglow.org.